Sunday, December 18, 2011

Year End Updates

Kids are doing well. They have been speaking with their male half sibling Z from out West on a fairly regular but unscheduled basis lately and the conversations are getting less silly and more “normal” or what passes for normal among 9 year olds. My son J does most of the talking from our side. The kids have not spoken with T, their female half sibling, in some time, my fault not making that happen, even though they have asked about her.

J asked about the donor again recently and whether he’d ever get to meet the donor’s kids, if he has any. I said it is unlikely that will happen as we’d first need to find the donor. I asked if that is something he’d want but I got no response. He still is close friend with the other donor conceived kids I know in his grade although this to my knowledge has never been a topic of discussion among them.

J has a crush on a little girl at his school. She is younger than him and they are at that stage when they are way too young to be “dating” etc and are taking on the aspects of a very friendly brother / sister relationship but one where they can’t wait to see each other every day. J was excited when this little girl said he was like a brother. Apparently that is a stage with little kids when they get closer to each other. The whole way home he was so happy and said he had three sisters and two brothers. One each of this count is this girl and her brother. Very amusing and will get confusing.

Over this past year I have dated women who have had young kids of their own. No one has met anyone at this point as none have lasted the requisite six months called for under my separation agreement. The possible concept though of extended blended families will be very amusing down the road if a relationship becomes that serious. Half siblings, step siblings, full siblings. Family tree time will need a lengthy color coded legend more than it already does.

As I write all this I am concerned as my sublet is up at the end of January and I have yet to find a new apartment. I have lived these last two years in the same building I lived in with my then-wife and the kids. It helped the kids adjust to the separation coming back to the same building every day even though they split their time between apartments. That issue has been the main issue of concern to them more than anything donor conception related. They seem so far well adjusted and handling it well enough.

Time to go. Nothing else new to report with the Yahoo DI Dads group.

1 comment:

Bea said...

Nice to hear from you. Sounds like everyone is rolling well with the complications and potential complications of your family life! Hope 2012 brings you every happiness.

Bea