Wednesday, December 27, 2006

The Voices of Donor Conception Book is Now Available

no. 319
The first book in the Voices of Donor Conception book series has been published. I am now a published essayist.

It's kind of strange to see my words in print in a real book. Seeing my writing here on the screen seems normal after publishing several websites and blogs over the years but a real book is pretty cool.

The book, titled "Behind Closed Doors: Moving Beyond Secrecy and Shame" includes essays by donor conceived individuals including Ryan Kramer, Rebecca Hamilton, and Karen from Whose Daughter. Kirk Maxie contributed an essay about his experiences as a donor. And Wendy Kramer (Donor Sibling Registry) and Olivia Montuschi (Donor Conception Network) contributed as biological parents and as individuals with vast experience on the topics they each discuss.

The book has a companion website where individuals can contribute their reactions, their own stories and read what others have to say about the essays in the book. There is also a Yahoo discussion group created to encourage two way discussion on the topics discussed in the book and in general.

Mikki Morrissette is the editor of the book and contributes her own essays to open and close this volume of the series. Mikki is also the author of Choosing Single Motherhood.

The book only arrived last night by mail so I have not yet read through it all but already I believe it to be an important book to see various sides of the issues written in the first person presented together.

I recently purchased another book titled "Who Am I ? Experiences of Donor Conception" which only presented the view of three different donor conveived individuals. I have not received it. It will be interesting to read both books to compare and contrast the experiences and thoughts discussed.

3 comments:

Janice said...

Way to go Eric! I just received my copy of the book and was happy to see your essay. You've come a long way since we first "met" on the internet. I've watched you take little baby steps and eventually put yourself right out there. I think you have contributed a tremendous amount of information and education for Dads of DI kids. Keep up the good work!
Janice

DI_Dad said...

Thank you. It seems like I have been out here for a while now..longer than the 17 months it has only been. What's funny is that I believe women have been reading this blog more than the men. But at the same time the Yahoo DI Dads group (men only) is now at about 105 members and getting into soome serious discussion with dads of different generations participating (pro and con).

Lollipop Goldstein said...

It sounds like a great book to put out there for an Internet book tour. Do you think the author would be interested?